Rice and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers, any colour
- 230g rice or quinoa
- 1 can (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 230g corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 230g salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 200g shredded cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, or your choice)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Rinse the rice or quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer under cold running water.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed rice or quinoa with 230ml of water and a pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer until the rice or quinoa has absorbed the water and is cooked. Remove it from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice or quinoa is cooking, preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Rinse the peppers and set them aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, black beans, corn, salsa, ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, and about half of the shredded cheese.
- Mix everything together until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Lightly drizzle the outside of each bell pepper with a bit of olive oil.
- Stuff each pepper with the quinoa and black bean mixture, pressing down gently to pack the filling.
- Place the stuffed peppers upright in a baking dish or on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of each stuffed pepper.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- After 25-30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted and lightly browned, and the peppers are tender.
Check out our other recipes HERE!