Healthy Chicken Curry
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 200ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (adjust to your spice preference)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Cooked brown rice or whole grain naan for serving
This Healthy Chicken Curry is a flavourful and nutritious dish that brings together tender pieces of chicken, aromatic spices, and a creamy tomato-coconut sauce. It is a well-balanced meal that satisfies your taste buds without compromising on your health goals.
In this dish, lean chicken breast is cut into bite-sized pieces and sautéed with a fragrant combination of garlic, ginger, and onions. The spice blend of curry powder, turmeric, cumin, and coriander adds depth and warmth to the curry, while a hint of chilli powder provides a subtle kick of heat that can be adjusted to your preference.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until it becomes translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic and ginger, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the diced chicken pieces and cook until they are browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the curry powder, ground turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, and chilli powder over the chicken. Stir well to coat the chicken evenly with the spices.
- Add the diced red and yellow bell peppers to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and reduced-fat coconut milk. Stir to combine everything.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer the curry for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender. If the curry becomes too thick, you can add a little water to reach your desired consistency.
- Season the curry with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve the healthy chicken curry over cooked brown rice or with whole-grain naan bread. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for added flavour.
Check out our other recipes HERE!