- 4 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 small wholemeal tortillas, warmed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium Avocados
- 150g cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- small handful fresh red chilli peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 a lime, plus wedges to garnish
- salt & pepper
Huevos Rancheros – the perfect Mexican breakfast dish! Try these deliciously bold, hot and spicy flavours on a bright summers morning – you won’t be disappointed.
Prepare the tomato salsa by combining the cherry tomatoes, red onion and 1/2 lime juice and in a bowl. Season with sea salt to taste and then set aside at room temperature until needed.
Once the salsa has been made, heat a small non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the eggs.
Lower the heat and scramble the eggs slowly until you have a thick but loosely scrambled egg mixture.
Remove from the heat immediately and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
Remove skin and core from Avocado and mash in a bowl. Add a large pinch of chilli peppers, squeeze of lime and pinch of salt and pepper.
Smear each corn tortilla with a heaping tablespoon of Avocado, then spoon in the scrambled eggs.
Scatter the tomato salsa on top and garnish with finely chopped red chilli peppers and lime wedges.