Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add green pepper, onion, and garlic; saute until tender. Add the next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered until heated through. Add rice; cook 5 minutes longer.
Spoon a rounded 1/2 cup of rice mixture down center of each tortilla. Fold sides over filling and roll-up. Place seam side down in a 13×9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon remaining rice mixture along sides of the dish. Top tortillas with salsa. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cilantro and, if desired, onions and jalapenos.
1 enchilada: 279 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sliced red onion and jalapeno peppers, optional