10 Tips For An Active Christmas
Keep moving, keep warm and keep it fun! That’s the main thing.
- Push yourself to walk to the next bus, tram or tube stop on the way to work! The extra 10-minute walk may take you longer in a morning, but it will help burn up to 50 calories more.
- An obvious one perhaps, but a good one all the same – take the stairs. It’s easy not to bother, but if you work in a building or live in a block of flats, both climbing and descending the stairs is the ultimate way to fire up the legs and glutes and burn a few extra calories at the same time.
- Schedule in a coffee walk with a friend. So long as you follow the guidelines anyone can do this no matter what tier they’re in – just make sure there’s a space between you! If you commit beforehand and there’s another person involved, you’re more likely to follow through with it. And don’t just get a takeout coffee and sit on either side of a bench nattering, walk with it! There’s nothing more rewarding both physically and mentally than a bit of social exercise.
- If you don’t already, try doing your workout in the morning. So when the evening comes, you don’t have to fight with yourself about doing it after a long day. It’s tough at the moment because it’s dark and it’s cold out, and it’s hard just to get up and get going at times! So if you take a little more time to wake up, try setting your alarm to say, 30 minutes earlier than usual. This will give you more time to wake up, have your first cup of coffee and settle in to a new day before busting out a workout.
- Probably the best tip – FAMILY DISCO!!! It’s very tempting to settle down to a Netflix film every Saturday night, but first, why not shake things up a bit and have a home disco!! Put all the mobile phones away, whack on all the Christmas tunes, get all the fairy lights out and schedule in a good half hour of nothing but disco dancing and family fun!
- If your friends aren’t available for a good old walk and chinwag, then find a good podcast! There are so many around at the moment it’s the perfect thing to keep you company. Just make sure you don’t get too lost in conversation and keep an eye out for the roads if you’re near them!
- To avoid depriving yourself of the yummy festivities, try to do some form of activity every day. Even if it’s just 10-20 minutes of light exercise, it will make you feel better physically and mentally. It also means that you can enjoy the little treats without pangs of guilt and worry. (Try our Ten minute Toning Programme, perfect for short, bespoke workouts!)
- On the phone to friends and relatives a lot at the moment? Well, why not talk on your feet! Stand in the kitchen or walk around the living room. It all boils down to your sex, height and weight, but standing instead of sitting can increase the number of calories burnt per hour by approximately a third – so if you’re a talker, get standing!
- Get your Games Night on with Charades, Stand Up – Sit Down or even Twister (if you have the energy!). Any game that requires a little more movement is an excellent way to keep active, especially at the weekends.
- It goes without saying – continue completing your InstructorLive workouts. Make a timetable for yourself and try to stick with it. We have classes that are a short as 20 minutes which is perfect for a busy festive schedule.