The Top 10 Reasons Why Pilates Is Good For You
Pilates is a great form of exercise which gives a lean and mean body, and for most of us that’s the dream, so what are you waiting for?! Here is a list of the top ten reasons why Pilates rocks!
- Pilates improves even strength throughout the body. It doesn’t over-develop some parts of the body while neglecting others. It promotes balanced muscle development as well as flexibility and increased range of motion for the joints.
- Pilates is for everyone! Whether you’re a seasoned gym pro or just getting back into shape, you can take it at your own pace. You build up to more advanced Pilates’ exercises as you become more confident.
- Pilates builds strength without bulk, which is a unique aspect of the practice. ‘Bulking’ is a common complaint for some people, especially when it comes to weight training (even though weight training can be very beneficial too!). The result of a regular Pilates regime, however, is long, lean muscle tone.
- Pilates improves flexibility. A common misconception is that yoga is one of the only ways to improve flexibility significantly, but Pilates can be just as effective.
- Pilates develops core strength. The core muscles are the deep muscles of the back, stomach and pelvic floor. These muscles are important for good posture, supporting our organs and protecting our spine. Also, good core strength means we’re closer to a flat stomach!
- Pilates improves posture, as mentioned above, due to correct alignment supported by a strong core. That means no more slouching!
- Pilates increases energy by working with the breath. It keeps the circulation moving, which in turn stimulates the muscles and spine, creating constant energy flow.
- Pilates improves muscle tone, balances musculature, supports good posture, and teaches you to move with ease and grace. All of these things will make you look and feel very fit. AND they will make you look leaner.
- Pilates improves co-0ordination. Pilates creator, Joseph Pilates, believed that this form of exercising was “the complete coordination of body, mind, and spirit.” This is one of the secrets of Pilates exercise; each movement is practised with total attention. When we exercise in this way, the body and mind unite to bring forth the most benefit possible from each exercise.
- Pilates is good for you! Our final reason why – it’s just as effective and less sweaty than a jog for improving overall fitness levels!