With the release of the hotly anticipated Superman film ‘Man of Steel’ we thought it would be an appropriate time to show a great ‘Superman’ exercise. To get more into the Superman spirit, you could do it while watching the film (maybe not in the cinema). While we can’t promise Henry Cavill’s washboard abs after doing this exercise once, this easy move will certainly help you to engage your core at the same time as toning and strengthening your body.
This is a great exercise to work your abs and back at the same time. It is particularly good for those who suffer with back pain and who want to strengthen their lower back. It is also a great for working your glutes.(With all these benefits no wonder Superman can pull off that tight spandex suit.)
With the Superman’s exercise, remember to exhale as you lift your arms and legs up off the ground. Then, after a few seconds of holding your core in, inhale, as you lower your arms and legs back down.
To perform the Superman’s Exercise:
- Lay face down on a mat or flat surface, with arms outstretched.
- Keep your hands and arms straight throughout the exercise.
- Raise your hand and legs 4-5 inches off the ground.
- Hold for 5 seconds, then return to starting position.
- To make this exercise more challenging try putting your body in more of an “X” shape so your limbs are angled farther out from your body.
- You can also add ankle weights or hold the end position for an extended period of time in each rep.
Good luck superhero fitness fans!